Designer clothes, handbags and shoes eventually get discounted but who wants to wait and take the risk of collections selling out? Most designers make it difficult to find deals but we’ve got the best tips and tricks to ensure that you score designer clothes for less, because we like to do the same and of course, share the wealth (of knowledge) with you.
1. Join Rewards Programs to Earn Points for Purchases Most high-end designer stores offer rewards programs where you can get money or points back each time you shop. There are usually no exclusions to these points so once you earn enough you can use it to save on your next big designer purchase. A few favorites are Bloomingdale’s Loyalist Program where Bloomingdales offers double point earnings several times throughout the year and Nordstrom’s Rewards Program where you earn 2 points per dollar spent and every 2,000 points earns you $20 towards a purchase.
2. Sign up to Newsletters Many high-end department stores offer a discount off your next online purchase when you sign up to their newsletter. Although the discount is usually good for a one time purchase, you can splurge on the designer handbag you’ve been dreaming of. Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and Bloomingdales offer customers 10% off when they join their newsletter.
3. Visit Second Hand and Vintage Web Stores Websites like Tradesy and PoshMark buy and then sell authentic designer products for a fraction of the cost. You can find anything from handbags, to wedding gowns to watches. So when you’re sick of your old Louis Vuitton Monogram Satchel you can sell it on Tradesy and buy the latest Louis Vuitton Epi Messenger Bag instead (note they take a 9% commission if you want to keep your earnings as store credit and 11.9% if you want to cash out). Be sure to also shop Vintage sales and collections on sites like Gilt, Haute Look, The Real Real where designer fashions are sometimes listed at up to 50% off.
4. Opt for the “Not So Obvious” Stores Bluefly and Overstock may not be your typical designer “go-tos” but don’t ignore them as they may surprise you. These sites carry designers like Dolce and Gabbana, Fendi, Chloe, Burberry and more at unbelievably low prices. Unfortunately this results in carrying smaller quantities of a particular product but checking in frequently can help you score designer goods before they end up in someone else’s shopping cart.
5. Shop Designer Sale Sections Don’t ignore the sales sections at your favorite luxury department and high-end designer stores. Last season’s items have to go somewhere to make room for this season’s, and they usually go to the sales rack. Mark your calendar so you know when the new season’s collection is going to hit the stores and hurry over to get your hands on the old goodies as sizes will be limited.
6. Shop Discounted High-End Sites Many of your favorite high-end department stores also have discount stores where they send leftover designer merchandise and sell it at a discount. Nordstrom Rack, Neiman Marcus Last Call and Saks Off Fifth are a few popular ones and they carry designers like Burberry, Stuart Weitzman, Badgley Mischka, Christian Dior and more.
7. Flash Sale Sites Online, member-only stores like My Habit, Gilt and HauteLook are also a great resource for saving on designer favorites and they are super easy to sign up for. These sites send daily emails to remind you when your favorite designer sales will become available.
8. Use Coupon Codes Even designer department stores offer coupons and promotions here and there. Some will give you a percentage off, while others offer a dollar amount off your purchase. Check in with coupon sites like Sointheknow.com to make sure you don’t miss any of these promotions and you can even sign up to be notified when the best deals come around.
9. Follow Your Favorite Brands on Social Media Be sure to follow your faves on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter as they often announce sales, promotions, limited and exclusive collections. You can be up to date with their pre-sale schedule where you can pre-sale your favorite brands at a discount price and pick it up later.