It’s summer, summer, summertime…and around here we are busy keeping it cool from our styles to savings to our food. There is nothing more refreshing than cold fruit on a warm summer day and a watermelon is the coolest (literally) fruit you can use in your recipes. This is one of my quick and cute watermelon recipes I created one summer day when I was hosting a light brunch for my girlfriends. It is a favorite at Sointheknow and I thought I’d share it with our readers. It’s quick, refreshing and light.
What You’ll Need To Make One Of Our Favorite Watermelon Recipes:
- A seedless watermelon
- A 12 oz pack of feta cheese
- 4 Persian cucumbers
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Cookie cuter in any shape – I like to use a flower shape in this recipe. This cookie cutter set from Target has tons of shapes and sizes that work well.
Step 1: Prepare the Cucumber and Feta Mixture
- Cut off the ends from the cucumbers and then chop the cucumbers into small pieces (about 1/4 inch). Add them into a medium bowl.
- Crumble the feta cheese into the same bowl.
- Lastly, add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and mix until combined, set aside. It should look something like this:
Step 2: Cut the Watermelon Into Fun Shapes
- First, cut the watermelon in half to make it easier to handle.
- Next, remove the watermelon rind by cutting the watermelon into flat/straight pieces.
- Cut the pieces into 1/2 inch slices.
- In order to create one of the cutest watermelon recipes you’ve got to make some cute watermelon shapes! Using a cookie cutter of your choice (again I like to use a flower shape because it goes with the red color and looks super cute) cut the watermelon into shapes until you have no more watermelon left. Of course you can do half this recipe or save the watermelon for later. Make sure you cut an even number of shapes as this is a watermelon “sandwich” and will require 2 pieces of watermelon per appetizer. Set aside.
Step 3: Assemble!
- To create the watermelon sandwiches take one watermelon shape and, with a spoon, gently press some of the cucumber + feta mixture so that it covers the surface. Then, place another watermelon shape on top. Repeat this until all watermelon shapes are used.
- Stick one toothpick in the center of each watermelon sandwich to keep it together so guests can grab them easily.
- For added fun, top off the toothpick with a mint leaf before you insert them into your sandwiches.
Step 4: Enjoy!