Summer is here and if that’s music to your ears too, then you’ve probably got your mind set on soaking up some good fun in the sun. But not so fast! Let’s talk about your skin- one day in the sun could cause anything from sunburns and peeling skin to wrinkles and skin cancer. That’s why it’s so important to lather up with sunscreen that actually works to protect your skin.
Last month’s issue of Consumer Reports revealed the scary truth about Sunscreen brands. Disappointingly, lab tests showed that many brands had less SPF coverage than claimed on their labels and advertisement. La Roche-Posay was the ONLY sunscreen to receive a perfect score of 100 and retails on the market for $35.99 for a 5oz. bottle.
We did a little research and among the rest that actually passed the Consumer Reports SPF test, here are our favorite 8 affordable sunscreen products, under $12. Special note: Each of the sunscreens below successfully passed a rigorous Consumer Reports test, in which their water-resistance and SPF content was analyzed and approved.
1. Neutrogena Beach Defense Water + Sun Barrier Spray, SPF 70 ($9.99) Best for your face, this sunscreen is a 6.5-ounce, dermatologist-recommended, broad spectrum spray. It’s oil-free, so it won’t clog your pores or leave behind a greasy residue, and it withstands water for up to 80 minutes.
2. Coppertone Water Babies, SPF 50 ($6.99) Best sunscreen for babies, this 8-ounce bottle contains moisturizers and aloe to prevent dryness and soothe young skin. It’s also free of added fragrances and dyes, so you don’t have to worry about it irritating your child’s skin or stinging their eyes when they sweat.
3. Banana Boat SunComfort™ Clear UltraMist Sunscreen Spray with, SPF 50+ ($7.99) One of the only 50+ sunscreens to meet its SPF claims, Banana Boat’s 6-ounce continuous spray is one of the best options for both face and body protection.
4. L’Oréal Paris Advanced Suncare Quick Dry Sheer Finish, SPF 50+ ($8.39) L’Oreal’s 4.5-ounce sunscreen spray is smaller than most on this list, but it’s still a great value because of its patented UV filter system. Vitamin E, white grapeseed, and other antioxidants nourish your skin while protecting it from the sun, and it’s designed to dry almost instantly into a smooth, matte finish.
5. Equate Ultra Protection, SPF 50 ($9.00) This generic Wal-Mart sunscreen didn’t just pass the test; it was also rated a “best buy” for both protection and price. The 16-ounce bottle will last all summer long, and one application lasts for 80 minutes, even if you’re underwater the whole time.
6. No-Ad Sport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 ($9.99) No-Ad’s long-lasting face and body sunscreen is also available in a 16-ounce bottle with 80 minutes of water resistance. It was recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation because it’s designed to absorb quickly, making it the best one to stand up to sweat.
7. Coppertone Sport High Performance AccuSpray SPF 30 ($10.49) Made for sporty adults, this high performance AccuSpray is oil-free and dries in seconds. It’s rub-resistant so that it doesn’t get into your eyes or smear off your body when you sweat.
Now that you’ve got your skin covered with brands and products that actually do what they say they are going to do- hurry on and sunbathe away. Happy Summer’ing!!